· Lakeview School recognizes the fact that many students carry electronic devices on them at all times and for a variety of reasons. This policy includes the following electronic devices, although not limited to: cell phones, smart phones, iPods, iPads, tablets, laptops, etc. Our school supports a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) environment that contributes to enhancing student learning opportunities, as long as the following procedures are adhered to in order to respect the learning and safety of all students and staff.
· School Wide Policies:
a. The device can ONLY be used under the supervision and authorization of a staff member during school hours or school events.
• The device is not to be used during break times, which includes: bathroom breaks and outdoor recess. Morning bus drop off, lunch, after school and indoor recess device usage must be authorized by a supervising staff member. This includes phone calls, texting, gaming, social media, etc.
• The device is not to be used to record (audio or visual) or photograph, staff or students unless authorized by a supervising staff member. Students need to ask permission first.
b. Students are not to contact home during school hours, unless authorized by a supervising staff member. This includes:
• All phone calls and messages from any phone (mobile or landline) or device.
• Answering or making calls, texts, or messages during instruction and class time as this disrupts their learning and the learning of others.
• Parents must contact the office if immediate communication with their child during school hours is required.
c. Lakeview School is not responsible or liable for lost, stolen or damaged devices.
• Students who choose to bring a device to school accept full responsibility for its use and care.
• Teachers have the discretion to ask students to turn in their phones before class starts to prevent misuse, theft, and/or damage.
- Failure to Adhere to the Lakeview School Electronic Device Policy:
1. Initial breach of use – Student will be asked to put the device away. If a student continues to use the device, administration will be contacted to come and get the device. The student can pick up the device at the end of the day from the Principal or Vice-Principal.
2. Additional breach - administration will be contacted to come and get the device. The student can pick up the device at the end of the day from the Principal or Vice-Principal. Parents will be contacted.
3. Continued breach of use - Student will no longer be allowed to bring the device to school.
Note: If any student uses a device in an inappropriate manner that directly impacts the well-being or dignity of a student or staff member, further disciplinary action will be taken, including, but not limited to no longer being allowed to bring the device to school.